Sunday, December 27, 2015

In Search of the Real Truman Capote...

This commentary from The Atlantic (which I'm posting quite belatedly, alas) makes what I consider a plausible, if not necessarily persuasive, case that "Thirty-five years after it was published, Music for Chameleons is Truman Capote's best, most personal work." I haven't read the book in at least 20 years, but I still remember being generally wowed by Capote's audacity and ambition.

Like most of you, I have so many books on my "must read" list that I doubt I'll get back to this one—unless we discuss it as a group in the future, of course.  :-)  But even without doing a fresh read, I feel comfortable saying this much:

If you liked either Answered Prayers (which we discussed in 2014) or Breakfast at Tiffany's (which we discussed earlier this month), then it would be worth your while to check out Music for Chameleons. For that matter, unless you flat-out hate Capote's style (which many people do), it would be worth it.

1 comment:

Robert Muir said...

Is "Music for Chameleons" the Russian tour of "Porgy?"