Tuesday, October 17, 2023

A book to remember fondly...

A friend recently did me a great kindness by lending me a book that came out in March and received a rave review in the New York Times, yet I hadn't heard of it: In Memoriam by Alice Winn. (Why the Washington Post totally overlooked it, I have no idea, but it's a shame.) Set in World War I, the novel--Winn's first--contains elements of Pat Barker's Regeneration Trilogy, Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited and several other books, but it remains fresh and original in its treatment of a love story between two teenage boys attending the same school. It's one of the best things I've read in a long time, and I can't recommend it highly enough.


The book jacket of “In Memoriam,” by Alice Winn, features a black and white photo of a World War I battlefield. The overall tone of the photo is dark and somber. 

No comments: