Sunday, October 15, 2017

WARHOLCAPOTE

I went to see WARHOLCAPOTE at the American Repertory Theater in Cambridge, Mass.  It was good...not great.  I completely disagree with Ben Bradley's NYT review.  He says one would get lost if not an insider.  The audience loved it and gave roaring laughter at some of Capote's lines.  I find them funny but I've heard them all before, some many many times (I was not roaring with laughter).  So, it seemed to me that "not being an insider" made the play much more enjoyable.  Bradley liked Dan Butler and didn't like Stephen Spinella.  Dan Butler started out very good but lost something as the play went on.  I'm not a fan of Stephen Spinella but thought he was much better (as Warhol) than some of the things I've seen him in in New York (granted Andy Warhol was never a very illuminated personality in real life as opposed to Capote).  I kept thinking, "This will never work in New York."  But then I thought real quick, "Yes it will.  The audiences in New York are as bad as they've ever been." 

No comments: