Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Great American Novels

I can still recall when nearly every newspaper and magazine would periodically publish a  list of "Great American Novels." Indeed, if you go back through the years of this blog, you'll find many such compilations. But such roundups seem rarer and rarer these days, so I was interested in The Atlantic's list, totaling 136 novels. I'm pleased to say that I've heard of nearly all of them, though I've read fewer than a quarter of them. But I was surprised that only 12 of the titles are by LGBTQ authors and/or have prominent gay/queer themes (under 10%). That said, James Baldwin is one of the few authors to have two titles on the list: Giovanni's Room (which BookMen has discussed) and Another Country (which we have not gotten to yet). Check it out!


No comments: