Tuesday, November 29, 2022

A bullet (over off-Broadway) dodged...

While on my annual culture vulture pilgrimage to New York City last month, I mentioned to the friend I was visiting that our group had discussed Hanya Yanagihara's A Little Life back in 2018, and expressed interest in a theatrical adaptation of the novel being presented at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Without a word, he handed me this New York Times review, and let's just say that was the end of that idea! Even if it had been a better production than it apparently was, seeing something four hours long in Dutch (with English supertitles) is certainly not my idea of a good time--or my friend's. Your mileage may vary, of course, but judging by the paucity of support for the nomination of Yanagihara's new book, To Paradise, for our 2023 reading list, I suspect not.



No comments: