Monday, October 31, 2022

Who Killed My Father


While in London last month, I caught an International Theater Amsterdam production, in association with the Young Vic, of "Who Killed My Father," based on the Edouard Louis memoir that will be on our next reading list. (We discussed his first memoir, The End of Eddy, back in 2017.) The play is quite intense and very good. I believe the author originated the role himself.  

I agree with everything Arifa Akbar says in her review of the play in The Guardian, but would add one detail. In the midst of all the intensity, there is a moment of humor (in a banal sense, anyway) when Eddy talks about obsessively watching the film "Titanic" as a boy. While the film plays on the console television on the stage, he does an imitation of Leonardo DiCaprio (or is he doing Kate Winslet?) on the front of the ship. 

 

No comments: