Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Was John Kennedy Toole gay?

This past Wednesday, we discussed I, John Kennedy Toole, by Kent Carroll and Jodee Blanco. While attendees did have some positive things to say about the book, which is billed as a "novelized true story" about Toole, the author of A Confederacy of Dunces, overall we found it disappointing. 

Speaking as the person who nominated the book last fall, I would note that my biggest disappointment was the authors' refusal even to address the perennial question of whether Toole was gay. It is, of course, true that there is no proof that he was, much less that he ever acted on it. But there is also plenty of reason to suspect he might have been a homosexual.

With that in mind, I did an online search and found several articles and reviews that argue in favor of the proposition. I won't list them individually here, but I found the top two results--articles from the Baltimore Sun and The Guardian--the most persuasive. 


No comments: