Monday, June 28, 2021

"As From a Quiver of Arrows"

I'm chagrinned to admit that I'd never heard of the poet Carl Phillips until The Atlantic's daily newsletter included his 1995 poem, "As From a Quiver of Arrows" (first published in that magazine) in today's edition. My gaydar was activated well before I got to the line that removed all my doubt, and further confirmation came when I discovered that his "Pastoral" won the 2001 Lambda Literary Award for Best Poetry. (I won't give that line away here; read the poem for yourself.) On the strength of what I've found online, I think Mr. Phillips is a prime candidate for a future BookMen reading list.



2 comments:

Robert Muir said...

Thank you for this poem Steve. It was exactly what I needed to ponder this morning!

DCSteve1441 said...

And thank you for sharing that reaction, Robert!