Monday, April 19, 2021

Happy National Poetry Month!

A few months ago, I signed up for Poem-a-Day, a free service from the Academy of American Poets that disseminates contemporary poetry. Each e-mail also offers a podcast option so you can hear the poets read their work. While I'm no expert, I'd say the site's daily offerings maintain a high standard, and even the relatively few poems that don't resonate with me are still worth reading. 


I particularly appreciate the opportunity to sample the output of lots of writers I'd never known about before, such as Cyrus Cassells. There was nothing obviously gay about his "How Many Lives Have We Lived in Paris?" but let's just say I got a vibe, which was borne out when I read more of his work. He's published eight poetry collections, so I plan to keep him in mind as a candidate for a future BookMen reading list.


No comments: