Monday, March 9, 2020

Going Gothic

In his March 5 Book World column in the Washington Post, reviewing two reference works surveying science fiction and horror fiction, respectively, Michael Dirda references a book I'd never heard of: Vincent Virga's Gaywyck (1980), the first openly gay modern Gothic novel.


Armistead Maupin (whose first name the Amazon page misspells, aargh) urged: "Read the son of a bitch! You'll love it!" And The Advocate declared it "an extraordinary tour de force that merits special praise." It's still in print, and I intend to check it out as a candidate for our next reading list.

2 comments:

Tim said...

"still in print" is problematic. I'm not conversant with the publishing history of Gaywick since its 1980 appearance as an Avon paperback but I believe it's been out-of-print for decades. That's why we've never had it on the voting list. Recently (?) Amazon has offered print-on-demand copies. I wouldn't assume Amazon's offerings to be anything other than that. I do however agree it's worth reading if for no other reason than to assess its reputation.

DCSteve1441 said...

Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I should have suspected that was the case, given our experience with other titles.