Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Whoa, Nellie's!

Regrettably, I was unable to attend last Wednesday's discussion of Choire Sicha's Very Recent History: An Entirely Factual History of a Year (c. AD 2009) in a Large City—my thanks to Robert Muir for facilitating in my stead. But I did read the book, and while I have no doubt Mr. Sicha can write, I never quite adjusted to the slipperiness of his particular blend of fact and fiction. (I gather that factor also turned off those who were present for the discussion, so I'm in good company.)

Here's an example of that sloppiness which may seem trivial, but I would contend is emblematic. On p. 88 in the paperback edition, John asks Edward where they're going that evening. The reply:

"I'm taking you to the sports bar," Edward said. "It's called Nellie's and it has an outdoor smoking section."

Longtime Washingtonian that I am, this reference naturally puzzled me. Online sleuthing confirmed that we remain the only "large city" with a sports bar called Nellie's. There actually was a Nellie's in New York City as late as 2012, but it was a restaurant in the Village, not a bar. (It appears to have closed since then.)

Since there's no indication that Edward (or any other major character in the book) ever lived in D.C., why does Sicha reference "our" Nellie's here? Especially since the bar was about to close and literally nothing happens to either character during the hour they spend there.

Surely there are plenty of bona fide sports bars in the Big Apple he could have chosen. Or bars with outdoors smoking sections, at least back in 2009. Curious and curiouser...

2 comments:

Tim said...

Edward's parents live in DC and he visits them. "JOHN WAS ON the highway down to the Capital [D.C.]" (p. 87) and hooks up with Edward later that night (p. 88). So Nellie's of the desirable outdoor smoking section is "our" Nellie's. The emblem of slop is hereby vacated and awaits its next occupant.

DCSteve1441 said...

Thanks for the correction, Tim. Reading really is fundamental. Mea culpa!

Steve