Tuesday, February 5, 2019

"Paul's Case": The Musical!

Some of you may recall that back in June 2011, at Tim Walton's suggestion, we discussed "Paul's Case," a lovely short story by Willa Cather.  Not long thereafter, Urban Arias, a wonderful contemporary opera company right here in Washington, D.C., commissioned composer Gregory Spears to began work on an operatic treatment of the story, which debuted in April 2013.  (The libretto is by Spears and playwright Kathryn Walat.)

Sadly, I wasn't aware of that project at the time, though I have attended several other operas Urban Arias has presented since then, all no more than 90 minutes long.  And even though I'm definitely not an opera queen (not that's there's anything wrong with being one, of course!), I am an admirer of the company's productions.

"Paul's Case" uses seven singers, accompanied by piano, string quintet, harp and two clarinets; most of the company's productions use similar forces.

The good news is that Urban Arias has recorded "Paul's Case" on a two-CD set, with liner notes by Alex Ross, the New Yorker music critic.  I attended the launch reception this past Sunday and the cast performed several excerpts that definitely whetted my appetite to purchase the recording.

I'll bring a copy with me to tomorrow night's meeting, but here is the info for ordering it (in digital or hard-copy format).

No comments: