Sunday, December 30, 2018

A Kameny cameo appearance...

I had mentioned at our last meeting, when we were discussing Lillian Faderman's The Gay Revolution: The Story of the Struggle, that I had a vague memory of local legend Frank Kameny attending one of our meetings sometime in the mid-2000s.  It was when we were meeting at Sparky's Espresso Coffeehouse on 14th Street NW, and I think it was late spring or early summer.

Tim, who would have been facilitator during the period in question, tells me he has no recollection of such a visit.  So I wondered if I might be hallucinating--until I found a 2011 e-mail I'd sent a friend mentioning that I'd met Kameny a few years before.  But I still can't recall the date, how Frank found out about the meeting, or the title we were discussing, though I presume it must have related to D.C. activism.

Could any of you who were active in the group back then corroborate my feeble memory?

No comments: